Sunday, September 18, 2011

5k Down, and a Great Weekend

I had a great weekend with the family in the Catskills of New York. This was a great time to spend together as we celebrated Lena's birthday on Friday.

We were invited to join my good friend from college, Chris (who is also Preston's godfather), get married to his sweetheart Rachel.  The ceremony took place in a cozy Russian church, with a reception at a romantic, refurbished barn, where we danced the night away until the cows came home!  (their British friends last longer than yours truly)

We stayed both Friday and Saturday night at the Inn at Stone Ridge, a wonderful getaway that was convenient to the weekend's festivities. We enjoyed comfortable lodging and fantastic breakfasts to fuel our day.

Before leaving on Friday, I was able to hop in the pool for a workout. I focused on alternating distance sets (500 to 1000 yards each) with minimal rest, and was able to complete 5k in just over 1 hour and 24 minutes. This is half the distance I will be swimming next weekend, and given that I had some kicking sets the time was right where I hoped it would be. I will have another long swim tomorrow, then a lake swim on Wednesday, a regular swim Thursday, then off to the race this weekend.



No comments:

Post a Comment